You are here: Home / About Us / Our History

Our History

headshot from Lions InternationalIn 1925, Helen Keller gave the Lions Club the charge to be her “Knights of the Blind."  Local clubs throughout the world took this role seriously and in 1954, nine Lions Clubs in East Contra Costa County began to dream of starting a center dedicated to serving the blind.  With hundreds of volunteer hours and lots of hard work a new building was completed in 1958 and named the Adult Club of the Blind.

Incorporated as the Diablo Valley Blind Center, the nonprofit organization strove to “provide a recreational center where the blind may meet to work and play and to attend classes in Braille, typing, handwriting and assorted subjects.” In 1971, the Center officially changed its name to the Lions Blind Center of Diablo Valley, Inc. Now known as the Lions Center for the Visually Impaired or LCVI, the Center touches the lives of more than 1,700 adults every year who are blind, have vision impairments or are at risk of losing their vision.